Saturday 19 January 2008

2006 Dec 29th - CT Scan

Friday, December 29, 2006


Oh Doctor I do feel faint......!
Category: Life

Well the big(ish) day arrived - manged to get up 20 minutes before I had to stop eating - thickie, why didn't I set an alarm? Shoved two malted milk down with a mug of tea and felt full anyway. Ponced about on t'internet and drove to sister's for "Taxi to Tomogrophy". Bloody good plan as it turned out!

Usual walking round corridors for a few miles (follow the yellow brick road) and tried to check in at x-ray first doh! Signed the usual paperwork, checked the usual questions and start drinking the barium stuff....15.15

and some more at 15.30

and more at 15.45 - no honestly you won't have white poo afterwards

and finally another one at 16.00.

Amazing man had a scan before me on his head - his wife was telling us he'd crashed in his lorry and had skin taken from his legs leaving red raw patches (including little R on his right leg!!!) to patch up his mashe up arm - window glass had torn right into muscle in places OUCH! But that apart he'd had a MASSIVE flap of skin cut off his scalp and folded over to cover the chunk he'd lost out of his head. I'd thought he had cancer and losing his hair since he had a sort of surgical stocking looking beanie on his head! He'd collapsed that morning and had odd dizzy spells before, his wife was worried sick and worn out with worrying about him and the fact that they were lucky he was still alive. He seemed in great spirits, considering the physical scars he must still be in some serious pain - it only happened in November.

Tyson doesn't seem to like it as much as you'd think, getting a bit grumbly but then it's the first thing since the malted milk with any substance other than water.

Fab nursing staff on duty today - offered to take me to a cubicle to change me, I asked if she could change me into a supermodel, but all I got was a hospital gown and robe - knee length which looked absolutely stunning with my knee high leather boots I must say.

I noticed I had little round blue URGENT 2 week wait stickers on my notes (two week wait is for people with suspected cancer - given the 2 to three week wait for any results it's just as well).

Time for the line so they can put the contrast medium in later on. Dr asked if I've had chemo yet.........erm no I'm still waiting for the biopsy results to see what treatment I'll have. You'd think that would upset me but really, it didn't - very odd. I can't be in denial..and talking about it surely? It seemed like a perfectly normal question really, I know repeated lines can harden your veins so it makes it tricky - anyway it wasn't going in too well he was fiddling with it and I had a "blockage".... feeling a bit queer down below - hot and like I could really do with the loo but oh hang on no, I'm getting the sweats and feel really, really dizzy - head between the knees!

Because I'm a PP (private patient) I get a Dr to put my line in, instead of a nurse - now I don't care who cares for me so long as they know what they're doing, I tried to persuade the doc to go off and have a cup of tea as I'm sure the nurses are more than capable, but standard practice and all that.

Poor bloke, they said it must have been his stunning good looks that made me faint, poor sis thought I was doubled over crying and rushed over only to end up helping me to the bed looking like death (not even slightly warmed up!) By this time I've got two nurses - one taking my BP, the doctor checking my pulse and my poor little sister looking worried, and she was only there for company for a scan and be the driver - you're not allowed to drive for an hour after the contrast stuff.

Second line in my other arm wasn't a problem phew! Scanner is quite impressive - just a very thin bed on wheels (not long enough) that moves in and out of a massive doughnut. Breathe in - hold breath "snap" breathe out, couple more of those and then it's time for the hot stuff - I've had this a couple of times before when I've had kidney x-rays it basically goes into your blood stream and as it's going around it's really hot, so think about where you've got a lot of red skin - like inside your mouth........that's really hot and after a few seconds it feels like you've wet yourself. Never happens and I was a bit of an old hat so not bothered by it. More pics - just a whizzy camera flying around your body in the doughnut that you can just make out. Pretty noisy like sitting near a refridgerated artic. I had a brief whinge about the idiot Dr Kiss of Death at the surgery to the radiologist who removed the canula. She was suitably appalled. She was lovely too, was asking about the tumour and if I was in pain, how long I'd had symptoms etc. The more I think about it the further back I can remember having odd bleeds but putting it down to piles - bane of most pregnant women and mothers.

Line came out as easily as it went in, but am warned not to leave the hospital until I've had a cup of tea and a sandwich at least and to go to A&E if I feel at all unwell.

I bought a piece of cake too but only managed the sarnie - tut! Poor stomach doesn't know what to do, stuffed to bursting on Christmas day and randomly starved on others.

I've been "entertaining" Mike for a couple of days, basically involving eating and drinking beer, but we did throw together some fab curry dishes for about £3 instead of wasting a small fortune on a take away.

Been shopping today and for a lazy lunch Oldrids cafe! Determined to sort the laundry and a bit of decorating prep before the new year.........but if not I'm gonna pay someone else to do it haha!

18:47 - 4 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Billy Bollockchops

Entertaining me? I think you'll find it was the other way around, luv!

Don't you dare do that ceiling!! You'll really piss Tyson off if you do that. If I come over early tomorrow I could finish stripping the paper and probably have time to get the walls filled too if you don't hover around talking *at* me all day.

Posted by Billy Bollockchops on Saturday, December 30, 2006 at 12:25
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala

Pah you couldn't do a strip tease, you'd forget your nipple tassels like you forgot your scraper! TUT! anyway I have a volunteer - she's late.........cos we were yabbing on the phone instead of getting up. Zut Alors!

Posted by Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala on Saturday, December 30, 2006 at 12:34
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Billy Bollockchops

Stripping the PAPER!!

Posted by Billy Bollockchops on Saturday, December 30, 2006 at 13:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Hayley
If you didnt laugh, you'd cry. Anytime Tyson fancies some french cuisine all you have to do is book a ticket - I'll collect you from airport, supply bed and board and all the red wine you can drink (just the cheap stuff though!)

Posted by Hayley on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 at 08:40

No comments: