Saturday 19 January 2008

2007 Apr 10th - Alas Poor PICC ....

Tuesday, April 10, 2007


Alas poor PICC I knew him well..........

I was in soo much pain on the loo this morning that my daughter asked if I needed an ambulance, inbetween spasms of pain (worse than pushing her 9lb 2.5 oz body with massive wrong way round head out), I said "no, this always happens when I go to the loo, don't worry", she wanted to know if they'd give me any painkillers - I wasn't sure.

Cried again when mum came because it hurt so much and was still stinging and spasming and she'd seen Karys and given her a lift to the bus stop - who'd told her I was in "quite a bit of pain".
Was nearly in tears by the time I saw the Dr, two periods in three weeks, permanent cystitis, bleeding from everywhere, agony in the loo and my hair HAS fallen out, just not on my head (sorry but true). He racked his brain and decided on some torpedo suppositories with painkillers in them for the pain and steroid to reduce inflammation.
Then I cried properly when I said goodbye to John who has terminal pancreatic cancer, spread to his liver. I wished him well and shook his hand but it was all a bit much. He's a lovely bloke, seen him a few times on a Tuesday for his chemo, or blood tests, always chatty, had a painful weekend over Easter and he was out of breath by the time he'd walked from the car. I was a bit choked saying goodbye to the chemo nurses too, knowing I won't see them again. They've been really lovely. I didn't see anyone I knew in radio today, which made me a bit upset too as after five weeks you get used to the same crowd.
I HAVE NO PICC LINE IN ANY MORE! No more massive dressings, no more hanging bags on the shower rail, no more foul taste in my mouth when they flush the line every week! No more cytotoxic drugs in my veins (for the moment). I was grinning like a Cheshire cat cos Dr Tom said I could have it removed today and no more chemo until the path results from surgery - then we'll see what happens, likely another four months, but I may just be lucky.
Going to be very emotional tomorrow I'm sure with my last trip to Lincoln. I can hardly wait!

17:04 - 4 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

GlitterGirl....

Well done on that PICC line...enjoy your hassle-free showers and not looking like Robocop any more! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow...I'm sure there will be a few tears (I cried just reading your post!) but it's another step on the cancer journey and you just need to keep plodding along chick.

Hope the diet is going well...I'm going the other way and fell off the wagon on Sunday. Just a small glass of champagne. It was bloody gorgeous...a tongue in the glass job!! I miss my wine....sigh!!

Oh and on the hair loss front...I am losing from both my collar and my cuffs, if you know what I mean! I am going to take advantage and have a severe wax on the basis that it will hurt less... ;o)

I hope the torpedoes and steroids do their job soon and give you a bit of relief. Thinking of you lots. xxxx

Posted by GlitterGirl.... on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 19:25
[Remove] [Reply to this]


GlitterGirl....

Oooh and no - Dr Dreamy doesn't know I call him that - it would only go to his head. My nickname for him is "Bean"......much less flattering, but he likes it!!

Posted by GlitterGirl.... on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 19:26
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Deborah

I am sooo happy for you now you have lost your robotic arm, albeit slightly jealous! Plugged in for session 5, only 7 to go now....

I can imagine it is all rather emotional for you - i decided on my last session to bake fairy cakes for the staff.

did it hurt when it came out? Scared of that already!

xxxx

Posted by Deborah on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 at 17:34
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Hayley

I'm detecting a penchant for melodrama - all these shakespearean references........

try this one

How poor are they who have not patience! What wound did ever heal but by degrees.

Maybe quoting shakespeare while your ring is burning will take your mind off it.

I will now spend the day searching for inappropriate quotes...............

Hxxxxx

Posted by Hayley on Friday, April 13, 2007 at 08:41

No comments: