Saturday 19 January 2008

2007 Aug 17th - Cancer - Financial Implications

Friday, August 17, 2007


Money, money, money.
Category: Life

It's been a busy day for me today. I was out of the house by 12pm having showered, washed my hair and managed to pretty much recreate Tuesday's creation by Gary (hairdresser, not at all gay - in fact he lives with his girlfriend). First stop was the surgery for my pre-chemo blood tests.

I found a space (always a novelty) in the car park and when I got to the door there was a notice telling me that there would be NO blood clinic today. Great! Back in the car and whizzed round to the hospital to the pathology department. The notice on the door said appointments must be made - so I rang the number. No-one available until 1pm. Ah well, I needed the blood tests or I can't have chemo so I wandered in. After a few seconds a nurse appeared and I explained why I was there. She explained that I don't need an appointment, so long as I have my form I can wander in whenever I like! More special treatment for the chemo/cancerpatient. I didn't dare push my luck and ask for a ticket so I could get off the £1 parking. She apologised after the first phial was full and cotton swab applied - she'd not noticed the CEA test request - that's a special marker for colorectal cancer and some other conditions which can act as a guide to reoccurrence - but it's not infallible by any means. The second lot she took with an old style syringe with a very fine needle from the top of my wrist - never had blood taken from there - I was quite excited - said it was the highlight of my day! She said she liked my necklace and ear-rings - so I told her in a whisper "Asda - £5!".

I was thirsty as ever so bought a cup of tea and a sausage bap from the cafe and a Prima magazine from the shop. My cancer buddy Debsi is in it this month!!! Way to go Deb! I flicked through whilst stuffing my face with the incredibly unhealthy snack until I found her - I'm sure that's an image she'll appreciate.

Next stop - the post office.............via New Look (oops). There was a long top/dress that I was hankering after for weeks and it was reduced finally to a tenner so perfect for Angela's birthday party at the end of August. Oh and I accidentally tried on another two tops and bought one of those for a tenner too - well I need longer tops to cover PTW, it's not for me obviously, it's just so no-one gets upset seeing the top of the bag. YES IT IS, (honest).

Finally I got to the post office to take some passport photos - urgh, wish I'd put on a bit more make up than a waft of eye-liner. Back in the car - to see the very nice and incredibly helpful, not to mention knowledgeable lady from St Barnabas Hospice. They work in conjunction with MacMillan nurses so pretty much cover everything between them. She filled out an application form for my blue disabled parking badge - which the photos were needed for. I should get that next week! She then explained that Disability Living Allowance shouldn't be included as income for the purposes of my Child Tax Credits (which I was getting even on full pay). She's applied for a grant from MacMillan for me - which could be nothing or something. If it's something I'll get a nice cheque through the door. Then she gave me the number to ring to apply for Incapacity Benefit. I may even, depending on the level of DLA which I shall hopefully get, qualify for a reduction in my Council Tax - it just gets better and better! Of course I may only get the blue badge - but that's free parking in Boston and no need to get an exemption slip every time I go to for chemo.

Back home I rang and went through the application for Incapacity Benefit and Income Support. I may get nothing because of my mortgage insurance pay out but I've declared it so we'll see.

So all in all a good day and potentially a lucrative one.

19:15 - 6 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Caroline

OOOOhh Lisa - any excuse for retail therapy! Quite understand why you have to buy the longer tops tho - had to do so myself! LOL
Good luck with DLA application - I applied and got turned down (twice) - apparently they only pay out if cancer is terminal! Well - that's what they told me!

Posted by Caroline on Friday, August 17, 2007 at 23:35
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala

I'm a menace Caz, I know damn well I'm just spending my insurance pay out which is supposed to pay the mortgage, but so far I've only eaten up £200 of it - I'd say I deserve a medal for restraint personally.

Re the DLA application, I got some fantastic advice - it's not about diagnosis but the impact the side effects that could qualify me. She advised to put down that I need help (whether you get the help to do up buttons which take half an hour or not is irrelevant, it's about what you would need in the ideal world if help was available) 7 days a week, because some weeks it is 7 days. Also it may become 7 days a week that I cannot hold a knife to chop veg and am too scared to carry hot water in a pan in case I drop it. I bet, like most of us you downplayed your problems because as we all have you learn to find a way to do it, albeit it takes 2 hours to perform a simple 5 minute task. I'm so grateful that I went to see her because if nothing else I'll get my blue badge, anything else is just a bonus - if you don't ask you don't get.

Posted by Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala on Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 15:10
[Remove] [Reply to this]


janey jane jane

I get DLA for Jed being Austistic Spectrum and it doesn't get counted at income in anything, especailly not child benefit or working tax credit so check it out! xxx

Posted by janey jane jane on Saturday, August 18, 2007 at 11:00
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala

There is no way I'm NOT filling those forms it, but bejesus they're monsters, nearly 50 pages - I don't KNOW how far I can walk when my legs and feet don't work because I'm scared to try in case I fall over, but going to have a go! Regardless I'm hoping the fact that I can't prepare proper meals for me or Karys since I struggle to chop anything - my hands and arms are so weak even on non chemo weeks. Keep 'em crossed. I still would never have known Jed had any problems if I hadn't been told so you must be doing an amazing job keeping up with his needs. If I ever need to know anything I think I'll just ring him because he's a mine of information that boy!

Posted by Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala on Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 15:14
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Peter

Your retail actiivities and fondness for a bargain prove that some aspects of life might be inherited because I know your mother is equally fond of bargains.

Posted by Peter on Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 17:47
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala

I guess there is a genetic disposition, but then again mine and Bex's bargain hunting started when we were fending for ourselves in dire poverty- not to mention saving pocket money so I could have a SECOND school skirt - my kids don't know they're born having several changes a week!

Posted by Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 at 18:23

No comments: