Saturday 19 January 2008

2007 July 14th

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Pics of some rectal tumours......yummy!
Category: Life

I've uploaded some photos of polyps and tumours for anyone who's interested - the thing to remember about rectal cancer is - it can be a massive tumour but not very advanced, however causing a total blockage, indescribably agony and always requiring surgery - but not necessarily spread anywhere else in the body.

A small tumour showing inside the colon or rectal canal of only a few mm can prove to be more deadly if it has spread right through the wall of the bowel (The not so lovely Tyson did this but he was a big bugger that needed pre surgery shrinking before I could be rid of him) and there it can spread willy nilly wherever the hell it likes, usually the lymph nodes, the blood vessels and from there it's favourite spots are the liver, lungs, brain, bones - anywhere you can think of really, just depends what kind of a tyrant it is!

Below is a pic of a polyp - an inch across, quite big but harmless at the moment, however ALL cancers come from a polyp - NOT ALL polyps turn into cancer.

(photo will be sorted soon)

Next is a photo of a stage 1 tumour - doesn't look as big as the polyp in the pic does it, but much more dangerous!

Now this ugly little mess is good old cancer in the stylee of Tyson - this is what I'd seen before I had that fateful biopsy in the middle of December last year when my colleagues were dancing the night away at an all expenses paid Christmas party - I was nil by mouth, given an enema followed by jam on toast and tea for the shakes...... It's the characteristic yellow lumpy bits that just say "I am not healthy tissue or a harmless polyp" that kind of gave it away and why I knew it was cancer before I left the hospital that day. Still Tyson is history now isn't he MWAH HA HA HA HA!

21:09 - 6 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Billy Bollockchops

Did you ever get any pictures of Tyson to keep? xx

Posted by Billy Bollockchops on Saturday, July 14, 2007 at 21:34
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala

Not yet, but there are three teeny weeny pics in my DOUBLE set of notes (I have too many notes to fit in one folder!) and I got the nurse to show Bex just as I was wheeled into the anaesthetic room, she said some really bad naughty words that mummy wouldn't like ..........um telling!!!!

Thinking of asking surgemeister for a copy when I see him in August.

Posted by Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala on Saturday, July 14, 2007 at 22:00
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Umpalumpa

Guilty as charged - but glad I told Tyson what I thought of him before his death!

xx

Posted by Umpalumpa on Sunday, July 15, 2007 at 09:09
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Bad Fish

My colonoscopy was all in black and white! It looked like Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard were about to emerge from the fog, but with giant worms! And I was sort of sedated so although I could hear them saying things like 'total blockage' and 'surgery' and (worse, but not carried out) 'emergency' I couldn't make much out.

Posted by Bad Fish on Sunday, July 15, 2007 at 15:33
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala

You know Bad Fish, Black and White is soooo much more dramatic!

I think worse than seeing it on the screen, realising my fears were correct (and the doctors were wrong - chuffing virus - go drink som lucozade and yakult uh huh!) was the surgeon coming out to see me after he'd changed from his gowns to his suit.

He put his hand on mine, very quietly said "go home, rest, eat well and enjoy Christmas with your family. I'll see you next year."

The ward was deserted except for me, the nurse and the surgeon, he'd added me onto his list. Very surreal! Still, it got better after that - knowledge is power, know your enemy and work out how best to beat it.

Posted by Lisa Left Eye Loopylalalalala on Sunday, July 22, 2007 at 16:30
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Peter

I've read several of your blogs and I'm pretty sure - no, I know - that I wouldn't have anywhere near your courage or good humour if a similar thing was diagnosed in me. You deserve the very best and most long-term outcome you could possibly hope for.

Posted by Peter on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 16:18

No comments: